Thursday, May 27, 2010

Black Locust Flower--An Amusement Park Snack


This year our team of teachers took our 8th graders to a Six Flags amusement park. It's not my idea of a great field trip, but our kids were psyched. They skittered off to the most intimidating roller coasters and proceeded to wait in line for hours. All for a several second joy ride. I had never ridden a roller coaster, and so, at the ripe old age of 32, I decided to give it a whirl. I went off to go stand in line too. But there, just before the entrance to the Pandemonium roller coaster, was a locust branch heavy with its clusters of white flowers leaning over the fence and beckoning. Unwilling to spend my dollars on the overpriced grease that passed for food in the land of corporate dining, I dashed over and filled my hands with the sweet blossoms and ate my fill during the hour-long wait for the roller coaster. A few quizzical glances were a small price to pay for an otherwise free lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment